Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Give A Sincere Greeting... Turn It Into A Nice Relationship

How are your social skills?

Do you give a cheerful salutation, like GOOD MORNING! - or HOW YA DOING!? - to everyone you meet?

Do you know why doing this is important for social interactions and potential relationships?


I never knew I had the ability to become invisible. For example, I go into a store or a fast food restaurant and say Good Morning only to recieve a nonresponsive reaction from the person I directed my salutation to. I must have become invisible. I hate when that happens. How about you?

I admit, It doesn't occur all the time, but there is no excuse for rudeness and lack of social skills. When ignored we usually don't want to devote much time with those unwilling or incapable of returning our fond greetings. After all, a kind greeting and a warm return is a act of mutual friendliness and respect. People having good social skills respond nicely to it. Keep it in mind.

The other day I enjoyed delightful interactions where I was visible and animated - and so was everyone else. It would take two hours for Derek to repair my car. His was a small shop with a desk and couple of chairs as his office. As it was a beautiful day I took a chair outside to wait and read the newspaper. 

While enjoying the day, I was amazed how many customers and delivery people came and went from his shop. Derek's business was good because he is an excellent and fair mechanic. The wonderful thing about this was that everyone gave me a cheery bright good morning greeting, and I returned it back to each one with a smile. Some even stopped to chat and put me in a nice frame of mind.

Here's how all that social chit-chat paid off. A fine looking lady was dropped off to pick up her car. As she walked towards me - I gave her a bright smiling greeting which she returned. I checked... no wedding ring, so I offered a compliment on her attire and asked where she purchased her beautiful clothing. She was delighted with my compliment, and we continued having a nice conversation. 



The day turned out great. Repairs were not too costly, and I was on my way to complete chores in time to have coffee with her later in the evening.

Do you see how a simple hello can lead to more than you might expect? 

So, hone your social skills, use them well in a friendly manner, and that simple greeting coupled with a sincere compliment - and you have created a potentially long lasting relationship with all the delights that go along with it.


Steve,
Becoming Extraordinary by loving life through people

 

 

 


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment